If you love coleslaw but not too fond of mayonnaise and packing on calories, try this cabbage salad instead. It is sweet and tangy with a faint spicy kick, perfect as a side dish to fried meat or as a light snack on it’s own.
2 cups of shredded cabbage
1 cup julliened carrots
1/2 cup julliened red and/or green capsicum
1 cup canned pineapple bits
1 tbsp minced fresh gingerroot
1 tbsp minced onion
1-2 tsp crushed black pepper
1 tbsp sugar (adjust to taste)
2-3 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
2 tbsp syrup from the same canned pineapple bits
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1. Run shredded cabbage under running warm water for half a minute on a strainer. It blanches the veggie and at the same time washes away the dirt and pesticides. Drain excess water and set aside.
2. Assemble other veggies and set aside.
3. In a large enough bowl combine all liquid ingredients and seasonings. Stir until well combined.
4. Combine all vegetables in a large bowl and pour in the dressing. Toss.
5. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Left overs store well until the next day, refrigerated. They taste like pickled veggies and go well as a side dish.