Sharing with you today’s lunch, Pininyahang Manok (chicken with Pineapple).
As usual, I put some spices you can totally do without…I labelled them optional. But if you have them in your pantry, by all means add them in as they help make the chicken meat aromatic and more flavorful.
It’s a very simple recipe. The tartness of the pineapple combined with milk helps make the chicken succulent and tender.
Half a chicken cut into parts
1 medium potatoes cut into large dice
1 small carrot, cut into 1 inch chunks
1/2 capsicum cut into 1-2 inch squares
1 cup of pineapple chunks
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 small onion, sliced thinly
1 tbsp cooking oil for sauteing
1 cup water
1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tsp vinegar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ginger powder (optional)
1 tsp Chinese 5 spice powder (optional)
1 star anise (optional)
- Marinate chicken pcs with fish sauce, vinegar, Chinese 5 spices and ginger powder for 30 minutes.
- Saute onion and garlic until wilted.
- Add in chicken pieces and star anise. Allow the chicken to cook until juices evaporate.
- Add marinating liquid, water and salt. Simmer on low to medium heat for 20 minutes, covered.
- Add vegetables. Cook for another 5 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Add in pineapple chunks and milk. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Done. Can be eaten with boiled rice or bread.